Employers’ Liability Insurance For Your Charity ​

If your charity, voluntary organisation or community group employs staff then you are required by law to have an Employers’ Liability insurance policy in place.

What does Employers’ Liability insurance cover?

Employers’ Liability insurance provides cover against any legal fees and compensation award you may be ordered to pay following a successful claim made against you by one or more of your employees.

This could be due to an injury they sustained while at work, or an illness they suffer as a result of their employment at your charity or organisation.

As well as your employees, Employers’ Liability insurance also covers any volunteers working on behalf of your organisation.

All employers have a duty of care to protect their employees, and it is a legal requirement to have a minimum of £5 million of Employers’ Liability cover.

To learn more about how BHIB Charities Insurance can help protect your charity, get a free no obligation quote today.

Employers’ Liability insurance can cover the costs if an employee makes a compensation claim for an injury or illness that they believe has been caused while working for your charity or voluntary organisation.

For example:

  • A volunteer is helping move some heavy boxes in the stock room, and hurts their back in the process. They go on to make a claim against you as your charity failed to provide the correct training or provide adequate health and safety guidelines.
  • An employee who provides counselling services goes on leave due to depression and other mental health-related issues. They then go on to claim that your charity failed in its duty of care towards them due to the lack of support provided to them in their demanding role.

In both cases a compensation claim could be brought against your organisation – which could result in legal fees – and the court could order you to pay for injury as well as loss of earnings, medical costs and so on.

Employers’ liability insurance can protect your charity or organisation against the risk of incurring defence costs and having to pay compensation pay outs.

How we protect your charity

When you are running any type of not for profit organisation it is important to have the correct type of cover in place.

BHIB Charities Insurance policies can include:

Additional cover includes:


Yes, if your charity or organisation has any employees then it is required by law to have a valid Employers’ Liability policy in place.

Even if you only have one employee, or your charity only has employees on temporary contracts, the Employers’ Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969 requires that you have a minimum cover of at least £5 million.

In terms of volunteers, there is no legal obligation to have liability insurance in place to cover them. However, this is recommended to make sure your charity is protected financially should a volunteer suffer an accident or injury while working for you.

As an employer, your charity or organisation is liable for any injury sustained by an employee while at work. For example, if your employee trips over a loose carpet and hurts their back, you may be faced with defending and settling a compensation claim.

Employers’ liability insurance provides cover for these legal costs, as well as any compensation pay-outs your charity may be forced to pay.

The minimum legal level of cover is £5 million, although most insurers offer £10 million of Employers’ Liability cover as standard.

The level of cover your organisation might need will depend mainly on the number of employees. If you are unsure about how much cover you need you can request a call back from one of our expert team here.

How much your yearly premium for Employers’ Liability costs depends on a variety of factors, including how many employees your organisation has, the nature of the work they carry out and so on.

The quickest and easiest way to find out exactly how much Employers’ Liability might cost for your organisation is to get a free, no obligation quote now.

My organisation has an ...